Thursday, April 28, 2011

Leaps of Faith

What is Parkour?  Lemme WIKI that one...


Devil Dive.
Parkour (sometimes abbreviated to PK) is a utilitarian discipline based upon the direct, successful, swift traversing of one's surrounding environment via the practical application of techniques, based around the concept of self-preservation. It is a non-competitive, physical discipline of French origin in which participants run along a route, attempting to negotiate obstacles in the most efficient way possible, using only their bodies. Skills such as jumping, climbing, vaulting, rolling, swinging and wall scaling are employed. Parkour can be practiced anywhere, but areas dense with obstacles are preferable and it is most commonly practiced in urban areas.

The term "freerunning" is sometimes incorrectly used interchangeably with "l'art du déplacement". While l'art du déplacement aims to enable the practitioner to be able to move quickly and creatively past obstacles, freerunning is a competition sport, with Urban FreeFlow being credited with this change of definition.


In short...it's moving about in the most EFFICIENT and SKILLFUL way in your environment.  A friend of mine is recently bonkers over PARKOUR.  Why?  Well, because it's sooooo KEWL!  I was lucky enough to be able to watch a performance of the PARKOUR BACOLOD last event

YES, People...we have a parkour team here in Bacolod City.  PARKOUR BACOLOD has been at it for four years now and they've been practicing in different areas but mainly in the Panaad Stadium where varieties of pole, ramps, stairs and much more challenging courses serve as their training ground.

Parkour Bacolod. ICI Launching Event.
I used to think about it the other way - the Adult Way.  I mean, damn!  They're doing stunts without safety nets or whatnots.  It's freaking me out everytime they do backflips in areas 10 ft high.  Can you imagine doing that without safety nets or an ambulance nearby???  You might tell me that they must have gymnastic backgrounds but hold it right there!  Most of them don't have proper training.  One of the team members told me that it is a way of life.  It's a principle and they take it very seriously.

Most people will not understand these guys as they compete with themselves - their bodies, their mindsets.  An obstacle to them is like a problem in life to conquer and they do it without a doubt.  Once they set their minds to it, they'll jump alright...they'll jump no matter how high...no matter how far...

Parkour Bacolod testing the sets before the event.
The first time I saw a Devil Dive done by a friend who does Parkour, I was like... "FUCK, he's gonna die!!!"  It was so unexpected and I felt like my heart leaped outta my mouth.  But when he landed perfectly down 10 - 12 ft below the edge, everyone clapped their hands...including me...a bit awe- struck and mouth gaping. "WTF!"  

One thing I'm sure of, they got BALLS!  No kidding...  I do my art, I risk not sleeping...  But these guys...they risk their LIMBS...LIVES even!  Some might find it absurd...stupid...dumb...  Sure enough, there are loads of PRACTICAL people around this world thinking of Parkour as nothing but suicide...too many of them, if you ask me...

But for those who are passionate...for those who understand the mindset of such a deep and meaningful symbol of life, for those who understand the invisible realities in this world we live in, for the PK boys who embrace this discipline...it only takes a Leap of Faith...for them to FLY.



I salute you!
katz :3 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment